Mandolin 1 with Tom Cunningham
This class will meet online - an invitation to a recurring Zoom meeting will be sent by the instructor in advance of the first class meeting.
This is your introduction to one of the most versatile folk instruments around… the mandolin!
Learn easy chords and strum patterns to accompany a handful of our favorite old-time and bluegrass songs. We will learn the melodies to some of the standard fiddle tunes that have been passed down for generations.
Mandolin 1 is an introductory course for absolute beginners. You don't have to have any musical background to begin playing. This course will introduce all the basic concepts of playing mandolin including:
- How to hold the mandolin/how to use a pick
- Learn to read tablature and chord diagrams
- Learn easy, two-finger chords
- Develop a basic strum pattern for accompaniment
- Learn chords and melodies for several fiddle tunes or songs
By the end of eight weeks you'll have learned multiple tunes in different keys and will be quickly on your way to becoming the mandolin player you aspire to be.
Open to all, ages 11 through Adult.