Mandolin Soloing and Improv Techniques of the Masters
Mandolin Soloing and Improv Techniques of the Masters with Simon Dunson
We will be studying the playing, language, and influence of a few of the great influential mandolin players including Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, Sam Bush, David Grisman, Chris Thile, Adam Steffey, and more. Many improvisation exercises, concepts, and approaches will also be covered. (All handouts in tab & standard notation)
We will explore these topics through the lens of the great mandolin masters:
- Pentatonic Scales & Diatonic Chord Progressions
- Licks - Pros & Cons
- Horizontal vs Vertical Soloing
- Motific Soloing & Diatonic Patterns
- Soloing over more chords
- Phrase length solo practice
- Rhythm! (and how rhythm can be so helpful)
- Techniques, approaches, and overarching goals when making music.
- Greater understanding of improvisation
- Greater understanding of what makes different mandolin players good, unique and why
- Have a mandolin and be excited to learn!
- Some knowledge of a few songs & chords