Practical Music Theory for the Traditional Fiddler
Regular price $ 180.00 Sale price $ 162.00
Practical Music Theory for the Traditional Fiddler with Amy Alvey
This class will meet online - an invitation to a recurring Zoom meeting will be sent by the instructor in advance of the first class meeting.
Academic jargon isn't important when it comes to the authentic old time sound, but getting familiar with basic harmony can be useful for those newer to traditional styles. In this workshop, we'll learn the common scales used in old time, and from there explore scale degrees, intervals, and chord building in Western-centric harmony. Understanding these concepts will help discern melody, chord theory, and improvisation and how it relates to old time, bluegrass, Western Swing, and beyond.
- Each class will contain some lecturing, some ear training exercises, and most importantly, application on our instruments.
- Though this is not a repertoire-based class, we will be learning some tunes that exemplify theory topics of the week.
- Geared towards all performance levels who are new to music theory.
- Instruction in relation to the fiddle will be the primary focus, however, all concepts can be applied to mandolin, guitar, banjo and bass.
- Ability to read sheet music is helpful, though not required.