African Choir and Mbira
African Choir and Mbira with Angela Scharfenberger
This class is an introduction to some of the joyful, rich songs from West and Southern Africa. We will learn at least 15 traditional songs that I've learned through 20 years of study with African musicians, primarily from Ghana and Zimbabwe.
We will focus half of our time on a capella music, and half of our time on singing with the Mbira Nyunganyunga, an easy-to-learn 15 key mbira, handmade in Zimbabwe. Instruments are lent to students throughout the class term.
- Learn basics of African language pronunciation
- Learn melody and harmony parts for each song
- Refine the beautifully simple art of call and response
- Each student will learn several singing leads
- Learn to hear how songs fit with the rhythmic timelines of African traditions
- Learn the meaning and the cultural/historical context of the song
- Learn basic instrumental parts, including percussion, gourds, and thumb piano
- Learn several songs from an exclusively women's tradition
Class will culminate in a final group performance with drumming classes.
Please email Angela with any questions about this class: angelascharf25@gmail.