African Singing with Angela ScharfenbergerThis class is an introduction to some of the joyful, rich songs from West and Southern Africa. We will learn at least 15 traditional songs - songs that I've learned through 20 years of study with African musicians, primarily from Ghana and Zimbabwe.
In class we will:
- Learn basics of African language pronunciation
- Learn melody and harmony parts for each song
- Refine the beautifully simple art of call and response
- Each student will learn several singing leads
- Learn to hear how songs fit with the rhythmic timelines of African traditions
- Learn the meaning and the cultural/historical context of the song
- Learn basic instrumental parts, including percussion (shakers, bells, drums), gourds, and thumb piano
- Learn several songs from an exclusively women's tradition
All songs taught by oral tradition, no sheet music used, just lyric sheets.
This is an excellent class for K-12 music teachers, to build African songs into their repertoire. Also a great opportunity to hear and experience the African roots of American folk traditions!
Open to students 12 and over. Past harmony singing experience a plus, but not necessary!
Please email Angela with any questions about this class: email@example.com