Autoharp 1- Introduction to Autoharp with Andy Brown
This class will meet online - an invitation to a recurring Zoom meeting will be sent by the instructor in advance of the first class meeting.
This course will give the basic skills necessary to play and understand the autoharp as both a solo instrument and as an accompanying instrument in an ensemble.
In class we will:
- Talk about tuning and how to hold the instrument
- How to comfortably wear picks and their role in autoharp
- Basic rhythms used across common repertoire
- How to pick out the basic melodies by using the chord buttons
- How to play in 4/4 and ¾ time signatures
- Tunes for the class will include: Wildwood Flower, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Sunny Side of Life, My Dixie Darling, I Never Will Marry (¾) and others if time will allow
- What the Autoharp can bring to a string band
Make sure to have a notebook, two fingerpicks, a thumb pick, a tuned-up Autoharp (we will go over it in the first-class), and a great attitude.
This class is great for people looking for a true introduction autoharp and this aspect of traditional American music. Beginners and experienced musicians are welcomed.