Old Time Ensemble
Old Time Ensemble with Lance Minnis
The sound of a fiddle set your heart to singing? The crackle of an old time string band recording make your foot move? You want to learn, and PLAY, the difference between bluegrass and old time? This ensemble is for you.
This class is for people eager to learn or improve their skills in playing and singing music old time music. Using ensemble, ear training, and jam techniques, this class will use a repertoire of old time fiddle tunes to teach how to play them for a jam, and to teach non fiddle players how to back them up in a group setting. Students will familiarize themselves with song arrangement, leading songs in a group, and improvising in a group.
Participants will learn:
- a repertoire of old time tunes
- the importance of rhythm and timing and techniques to improve
- ear training and listening. Sight reading and sheet music will not be used.
- simple accompaniment styles for guitars, bass, mandolin and other old time instruments
- basics of song construction and theory
- an overview of old time music
All fiddle, clawhammer banjo, guitar, mandolin, dulcimer, and bass players welcome. Students will need to know and be able to transition easily between basic chords on their instrument. Completion of a Folk School intermediate instrument class a bonus.