Songwriting Workshop 1
Songwriting Workshop 1 with Lily Lyons
If you are a beginning or intermediate songwriter who wants to develop your ability to write your own songs then this class is for you! We’ll be doing a hands-on, workshop-style class that explores how to write great melodies and lyrics. Both newbie and continuing songwriters are welcome! You’ll get individualized feedback and build confidence in your unique writing style, whether you’re turning the melodies you sing in the shower into songs for the first time or seeking new techniques to level up your existing songwriting skills. Topics will include:
- Making a catchy, memorable melody
- Techniques for fighting writer’s block
- Ways to avoid clichés and create fresh, inventive lyrics
- Studying the songs you love and discussing what makes them effective! • Learning new chords to spice up your chord progressions
- Metaphors and rhymes
- Common folk song forms and how to write them
- Studying the songs of great songwriters and applying their techniques
Goal: By the end of the 8 weeks, you will complete at least 1 full song and share it with your classmates.
Prerequisites: Musicians of all levels and traditions are welcome. Previous experience with songwriting is not necessary. Continuing songwriters can also benefit from the class.
Recommended: Basic ability to play 3 or 4 chord songs and keep a groove on your instrument. Comfort with singing simple melodies.
Contact: Instructor Lily Lyons can be reached at lily.lyons7(at)gmail.com for further questions