Women’s Ensemble 2: Songs and Ballads from Appalachia
Women’s Ensemble 2: Playing and Singing Songs and Ballads from Appalachia with Julia Purcell
This class is for women interested in singing and playing songs from
the Appalachian tradition. Students will learn skills and techniques
that will help strengthen their musicality and ability to play with others.
Banjo, Guitar, Ukulele, Bass, Dulcimer, Fiddle and Mandolin are
Students will learn:
- brief history of Appalachian folk music tradition,
- a variety of simple accompaniment techniques,
- bluegrass and old-time styles of accompaniment,
- basic music theory,
- healthy singing techniques,
- jam etiquette,
- a new repertoire of songs,
- and valuable resources for further study.
Pre-requisite: Women’s Ensemble 1recommended.
Open to ages 15 and up