Women’s Ensemble: Songs and Ballads from Appalachia
Women’s Ensemble: Playing and Singing Songs and Ballads from Appalachia with Julia Purcell
This class is for women interested in singing and playing songs from the Appalachian region. This course is designed for those who wish to bring ease and confidence to the art of singing while accompanying themselves on an instrument. Banjo, Guitar, Ukulele, Bass, Dulcimer, Fiddle and Mandolin are welcome. We will focus our learning around traditional folk songs and ballads of the Appalachian region.
Students will learn:
- brief history of Appalachian folk music tradition,
- a variety of simple accompaniment techniques,
- bluegrass and old-time styles of accompaniment,
- basic music theory,
- healthy singing techniques, j
- am etiquette,
- a new repertoire of songs,
- and valuable resources for further study.
Some singing experience and beginner/intermediate knowledge of instrument is recommended.
Open to ages 15 and up