Women's Ensemble: Singing and Playing Music of Appalachia
Women's Ensemble: Playing and Singing Music of Appalachia: with Julia Purcell
This class is for women interested in singing and playing as part of an ensemble. This course is designed for those who wish to bring ease and confidence to the art of singing while accompanying themselves on an instrument. Banjo, Guitar, Ukulele, Bass, and Mandolin are welcome. We will focus our learning around traditional folk songs and ballads of the Appalachian region.
Students will learn:
- brief history of Appalachian folk music tradition,
- a variety of simple accompaniment techniques,
- bluegrass and old-time styles of accompaniment,
- basic music theory,
- healthy singing techniques,
- jam etiquette,
- a new repertoire of songs,
- and valuable resources for further study.
Some singing experience and beginner/intermediate knowledge of instrument is
Open to ages 15 and up