Mountain Dulcimer 1 with Molly McCormack
This class has both in-person and online options that meet simultaneously. To meet on Zoom, select the online option and an invitation to a recurring Zoom meeting will be included in the orientation email sent upon checkout.
This class is for students with no prior musical experience on the mountain dulcimer or any stringed instrument. You’ll playing tunes during the first class!
Open to all, ages 11 through Adult.
Bring your mountain dulcimer and a pick.
Other recommended items: a strap or pad to keep the dulcimer on your lap and an electronic tuner
Students will learn:
- Brief history of the mountain dulcimer.
- Parts of the instrument, string names, tuning, fret numbers (and note names), beginnings of listening to play (aural learning), how to read and use tablature for support during practice.
- Optimal positions for sitting, holding a pick, keeping the instrument on your lap, fretting hand positions and fingering techniques.
- Basic rhythmic strum in 4/4 and 3/4 time.
- Back-up chords for the Key of D in order to accompany singing or use in playing and jamming with others.
- A variety of simple traditional folk and fiddle tunes
- Experience the fun of playing music for yourself and for others!